Spiralized Beet & Goat Cheese Salad
If you are not absurdly wowed the first time you use a spiralizer, are you even a mom? Not only does this simple gadget make any healthy meal look gorgeous, it’s a great tool to engage your kids with making dinner. As many people before me have noted, kids are much more likely to eat something they’ve made themselves. Beets are a great vegetable to start with because they’re naturally sweet. If your kids are picky, there are a million ways you can adjust this recipe (for example, my son substituted apples for beets and added crumbled oatmeal cookies on top). Hey, it’s better than Doritos.
- 2 medium red beets, peeled
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1 ounce pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- Balsamic vinaigrette (simple recipe below)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil
- Using your spiralizer with ribbon blade in place, spiralize the red beets.
- Place the beet noodles in the boiling water and cook for 1-2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a small saute pan over medium heat, toast the pinenuts. Do not leave them unattended as they cook quickly and can easily burn.
- Mix up a balsamic vinagrette using 1:3 ratio of vinegar to oil. Season with sea salt then drizzle over noodles.
- Add goat cheese, toasted pine nuts, parsley and enjoy!